- How is the symbol of the pearl transformed throughout the poem?
- What is the nature of the relationship between the Pearl-Maiden and the Dreamer?
- How might we interpret this poem literally, allegorically, morally, and anagogically?
- Is the dreamer consoled at the end of the poem? If not, why not? If so, how?
- What imagery does Tolkien use from “Pearl” in “Princess Mee,” and why is it significant, especially in light of its source?
For more questions to help with close reading, see:
Medieval Pearl – Teaching